If you’re new to iPads and/or iPhones (iOS Devices) then the process of installing software – apps – is quite different. Everything that is installed on an iOS Device is done through Apple’s App Store. This ensures that apps have been reviewed and are not perceived as being malevolent. It also centralises payment to simplify the process. The App store also functions in a way that it attaches purchases not to the device itself but to your personal account. This means that if your device is ever lost, stolen, broken, replaced or upgraded all your purchases are not lost or redundant – they can be simply installed on a new or replacement device.
- A valid Apple ID and Password (need to set one up?)
- From the Home screen, tap on the App Store app to start it.
- If this is the first time that the App Store has been run on the device, an alert box will appear on the screen giving an option to install the iBooks app. Tap on the Download button to initiate the installation process. Type your Apple ID and Password in when prompted.
- To find an application Tap use the Search box located in the top-right hand corner on the iPad or the search tab at the bottom of the iPhone
- Type the name of the required app.
- Tap on the app and then tap again on the Buy icon to initiate the install process (where multiple versions of an app are available, make sure you choose the appropriate iPad or iPhone version.
- Type your Apple ID and Password in when prompted.
- Repeat the above steps (from Step 4) for each of the apps required.
- Exit the App Store app by pressing the Home button on the iPad or iPhone.